Trading Standards – Business Advice
Trading Standards make trading safe and fair for everyone. If you run a business, it is important that you understand all the laws that apply to you; this not only makes good business sense, but usually means you are not at risk of substantial financial penalties for non-compliance.
We know that trading standards legislation can be complex and can sometimes feel like a burden, but for general questions, free guidance is available at the Trading Standards Institute’s Business Companion. You can also get other useful information if you are thinking of starting a business on the business pages of GOV.UK.
If you require more comprehensive advice than that provided on the Business Companion website, or if you would like an officer to answer a specific query in regard to your business, we offer a bespoke Trading Standards Business Advice Service tailored to the needs of your business.
To access our Trading Standards Business Advice Service, you will need to register and agree to our Trading Standards Business Advice Policy.
Your personal data will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018.
Once registered, you will be able to purchase one of our Trading Standards Business Advice packages that range from a simple pay-as-you-go arrangements through to more formal Primary Authority Partnerships. You may also qualify for 30 minutes of free advice per year.
Trading Standards can offer advice on, but not limited to:
- Provision of interpretations of legislation specific to a business
- Diligence procedures and control systems
- Product assessments, including product labelling for compliance with relevant legislation
- Formal or informal analysis of goods and reports
- Testing of goods (specific gravity checks, quantity checks, product safety checks etc.)
- Assessing new or revised terms and conditions for compliance
- Assessment of brochures, leaflets or websites intended to promote or market a business
- Providing training and talks to a businesses and employees
- Site visits and inspections at the request of the business
The following packages are available to request or buy online:
Certain businesses qualify for 30 minutes free advice per year; to find out if you are eligible please complete our short questionnaire.
One hour of Trading Standards advice for £59 + VAT
Five hours of Trading Standards advice for £199 + VAT
Any of the above packages purchased are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
Advice is logged in 15 minute slots whether or not the full 15 minutes is used.
If you require bespoke advice we will provide a written quotation.
A Primary Authority Partnership is bespoke to the needs of your business. If you wish to discuss entering into a Primary Authority arrangement with us, please register and request a bespoke quotation.