Home Choice Lincs

For general guidance visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) information, advice and guidance.

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Looking for a home


Applying for a home through HomeChoiceLincs

North Lincolnshire Council, North East Lincolnshire Council, Ongo, Shoreline Housing Partnership Ltd, Guinness Northern Counties, Longhurst and Havelok Homes and Sanctuary Housing Association are in partnership to provide the HomeChoiceLincs scheme. The partnership is responsible for more than 20,000 homes across Northern Lincolnshire and it is hoped that other registered providers of rented homes in the area will eventually join the scheme.

This scheme gives home seekers more choice and information about homes that are available throughout the whole of Northern Lincolnshire offering better opportunities to find a home you want and need.

To apply to go on the housing register you must apply online.

Whether you are looking to rent, buy your own place, need emergency housing or want to find a care home, it is important to find somewhere that suits your needs. You also need to understand the rights each option would give you:

If you have health problems, a disability or are an older person and struggling to manage your property, please contact Adult Social Care.

You can also speak to a Housing Advisor  by calling 01724 297777 or email housingadvice@northincs.gov.uk

If you have just moved to the UK

If you have recently moved to the UK, are an EU citizen that doesn’t work or you have no recourse to public funds you will probably have limited options.

Housing associations offer affordable properties to rent or buy as low cost home ownership.

Contact details

ACIS House

Tel: 0800 027 2057

Anchor Housing  (Anchor Hanover Group)

Tel: 0808 102 6388

Hanover Housing (Anchor Hanover Group)

Tel: 0800 280 2575

Homegroup (Stonham)

Tel: 0345 141 4663

Housing and Care 21

Tel: 0370 192 4000

Lincs Rural Housing Association

Tel: 01790 754 219


Longhurst & Havelok Homes

Tel: 0800 111 4013

Ongo Homes

Tel: 01724 279900

Places for People

Tel: 01772 667002

Progress Group

Tel: 01772 450600

Riverside Housing Association

Tel: 0345 111 0000

Salvation Army Housing Association

Tel: 0800 970 6363

Sanctuary Housing

Tel: 0800 131 3348 (landline) 

Your chances of getting a new home will depend on:

  • the reason you want to move
  • the sort of property you are asking for (if you need a larger property or one that has been adapted for support needs, you may have to wait longer)
  • the sort of property you currently live in and where you are currently living

All applications are prioritised depending on how urgently a person needs to move depending on their individual circumstances.

Visit the HomeChoiceLincs website or contact the Housing Advice Team for more details.

If you need to move urgently, for example because of domestic violence, or because conditions are so bad in your current home that it is no longer reasonable for you to stay there, you should always contact your housing association first as many have emergency procedures to help their tenants.

Transfers and exchanges take time. If you need to move urgently, and your housing association is unable to help or you would like independent advice, please contact the Housing Advice Team to see if you can get higher priority on the waiting list and ask about making a homelessness application.

Local councils have a duty to re-house people immediately in certain circumstances.

DO NOT move out of your current home without getting advice first.

You can apply for a transfer if you have a secure or assured tenancy with the local council or housing association. You will probably not be able to apply if:

  • you have a demoted tenancy, an introductory tenancy, a starter tenancy or an assured shorthold tenancy
  • you live in supported housing or a care home
  • you, or any member of your household, are guilty of serious unacceptable behaviour

You will also need to show that your circumstances have changed since you moved in, resulting in a need for a different home. This could be because:

  • your family has grown and your current home and it is now overcrowded
  • your home is now too big for you, for example, because your children have left home
  • you are ill or have a disability and your current home isn’t suited to your needs

How do I apply for a transfer?

Some housing associations have internal transfer waiting lists, but applications are usually processed through the Choice Based Lettings Scheme. The system doesn’t work on a first come first served basis but on a point system based on housing need. The more points you have, the higher up the waiting list you will be.

To apply to go on the housing register you must apply online with HomeChoiceLincs.

You can also apply for a swap or mutual exchange. You can do this online using a site like Homeswapper .

Depending on why you need to move, you may have to wait a long time before you are offered a new home. There is no guarantee that you will be able to get what you want.

Transfers often take a very long time. There is a shortage of property in most areas, especially if you need a larger property. However, thousands of people get a transfer every year, so don’t give up too easily.

Existing tenants don’t automatically get priority on the waiting list, so you should explain any special circumstances that might mean that you get extra points. A local advice centre may be able to help you to complete forms to make your application as strong as possible. They may also be able to help if you want to challenge a decision that the council has made about your application.

You will only get offered a property that you have ‘bid’ on. So it is important that you only apply for a property that you are interested in and that is suitable. It is also very important that you attend any viewings that you are invited to.

If you are accepted as homeless, the council or housing association will only make you one offer of a new home.

Yes, you will need to register on the list in the area(s) you wish to move to. You should speak to the council in the area you want to move to for more details.

You can also apply for a swap or mutual exchange. You can do this online using a site like Homeswapper .

No, there is no charge to apply for a transfer.