Council Tax financial support and advice

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, debt advice information and how to contact us for support. Complete the Council Tax and Housing Benefit review form if we have asked you to.

Council Tax and Housing Benefit Review form

Only complete the Housing Benefit and Council Tax review form if you have been asked to by the Benefits team.

These payments are awarded as a short term measure to assist households suffering from severe financial hardship. They can only be awarded when the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element) you receive is less than the rent you have to pay.

Help with housing costs payments can be made to you if your housing benefit or the housing element of your universal credit does not cover your full rent charge and you have to up the difference. In exceptional circumstances, we can also use money from the fund to help you pay rent in advance to move into a new property. Payments are only made for a limited time to customers experiencing financial difficulties.

A payment cannot be larger than the difference between your housing benefit or the housing element of your universal credit and the total rent you have to pay.

The benefits team consider every application individually, taking into account your total household income, your savings, any special circumstances (such as illness or disability) and whether you are able to rearrange your finances. A decision will then be made on whether to make an award and how much it will be.

The discretionary housing payment is made with your housing benefit (if you receive it), whether the payment goes to you or directly to your landlord. If you are in receipt of universal credit the payment will be sent to you from North Lincolnshire Council and not with your universal credit payment.

This is for customers who need further help after receiving an increased Council Tax bill. It is for customers who are affected by the removal of Council Tax Benefit and the introduction of the local Council Tax Support scheme. To apply for this support you must receive Council Tax Support.

You can apply online for help from the Council Tax Support Fund:

The Council Tax Support Fund has been put in place to help customers receiving Council Tax Support who need further help when they receive an increased Council Tax bill.

  • A Council Tax Support Fund payment cannot be more than the difference between the amount of Council Tax Support you are entitled to and the amount of Council Tax you actually have to pay. We will pay this into your Council Tax account. We will not give you any cash as part of this award.
  • If you are awarded additional support with your council tax, a new bill will be provided which outlines the extra help you have received, and any new payment plan which you must follow.

For example:

You need to pay Council Tax of £12 each week, but you only get £8 a week in Council Tax Support. The most extra Council Tax Support money we can award would be £4 a week to make up the difference. If the support is awarded, you will not receive money from us. Instead, we will deduct the £4 from your Council Tax bill.

Use the online application form (the blue button above) to apply for Council Tax Support.

Independent debt advice is available from the following organisations

For help with budgeting and managing your money please use the Money Advice Service’s online budget planner.

Speak with our Debt Management Section.

It is important that you contact us if you are in arrears with your Council Tax account.  This gives us a chance to work together to clear the debt.  Arrangements can be made for you to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

If you are not sure how much you can afford please complete our online Income and Expenditure Form:



0300 3030164 

If you need to write to us:

Council Tax
North Lincolnshire Council
Church Square House
30-40 High Street
DN15 6NL