I rent from a private landlord. What can I claim?

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit, depending on your income, the size of your family, and the number of bedrooms you have. This page explains how we work out your room entitlement and housing benefit rate.

To make an application please visit our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support page.

Room calculator

To calculate the number of rooms you will be allocated, use the bedroom calculator on the Valuation Office Agency website.

The rates are assessed annually, and may change on the 1 April each year. They are based on number of bedrooms only.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates, from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019, based on bedrooms only:

Number of bedrooms Doncaster Grimsby Scunthorpe
Shared rate* £55.12 £52.50 £53.50
One bedroom £78.08 £75 £74.59
Two bedrooms £93.23 £92.05 £92.05
Three bedrooms £103.56 £99.04 £104.89
Four bedrooms £143.84 £129.47 £134.02

* This applies to most people under the age of 35 with no dependants and most people/couples who choose to live in shared accommodation with no dependants.

The rate will be dependent on the accommodation you require. This is a means tested benefit and the rates shown are the maximum entitlement.

You can find out more information about LHA at the Valuation Office Agency’s website.

How many bedrooms?

The size criteria is calculated by working down this list, with one bedroom for:

  • Every adult couple
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children under the age of 10
  • Any two children of the same sex aged 0-15
  • Any other child

Find out more on LHA rates and the size criteria:

More information is available at:

  • Job Centres
  • Housing Related Charities

You can also get further advice from:

What is LHA?

LHA is a scheme for the calculation of Housing Benefit for deregulated private tenants (tenants with a private landlord). Tenants are paid an allowance based on the number of rooms they are entitled to. This figure depends on the number in your family group.

The allowance is usually paid direct to you, by BACS or cheque. If you (the claimant) wish, and give us written consent, we will inform the landlord that payment is being made direct to you, and when that payment begins. In cases where you are considered ‘vulnerable’ the payments can be made directly to the landlord.

Further information is available on our direct payments to your landlord page.