How will you pay my benefit or Council Tax Support

Find out how your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support will be paid.

We make regular payments of Housing Benefit to landlords and Housing Benefit claimants by cheque or BACS payment. We make these every four weeks for a landlord, and every two or four weeks for a claimant.

If you rent from a registered social landlord (for example Ongo Homes Ltd or Guinness Northern Counties) you can choose to have your payments made to you or your landlord.

If you choose to have your Housing Benefit paid to you, we can pay you either by cheque or by BACS.

If you rent from a private landlord and we work out your claim under the Local Housing Allowance rules, we will usually pay your Housing Benefit directly into your bank account. Alternatively we can pay you by cheque.

If you do not have a bank account, we may pay your Housing Benefit to your landlord for a short time until you open one.

If you are likely to have difficulty paying your rent you can ask us to pay your Housing Benefit direct to your landlord. Please visit our direct payment to your landlord page to find out more.

We calculate your Council Tax and then, if you are entitled to a Council Tax Support, we apply the discount to your account.

Instead of making payments to you, we issue you with a Council Tax bill showing the discount and how much Council Tax you still need to pay after the discount has been applied.

If you think your Council Tax Support is wrong, please contact the Benefits Section on:

Email: or call  0300 3030164 

To find out more, visit our Council Tax Support Scheme page.

BACS (Bankers’ Automated Clearing Services) is a direct transfer from our bank account into your bank account.

Using BACS allows us to pay your benefit directly into your bank account quickly and securely.  It is our preferred method of payment.