Direct payment to your landlord

We usually pay your Housing Benefit direct to you. This page gives a brief summary of the information we use to decide whether Housing Benefit can be paid direct to your landlord.

You must provide us with evidence of exceptional circumstances to show that you cannot pay your rent yourself.

The following are a few examples of circumstances where we may consider paying your landlord direct.

This is not a complete list. If you think that you will have problems paying your rent, please contact us immediately.

Our decision will be based on the evidence you provide. So the more evidence and information we have, the easier it will be for us to make a decision.

Evidence you need to provide


Type of evidence

You have a learning disability   Written evidence from care workers, a GP, social services, a hospital or similar
You have a medical condition such as dementia or a terminal illness   Written evidence from care workers, a GP, social services, a hospital or similar
You cannot read or speak English   Written evidence from support organisations
You have a recognised addiction such as to a drug, alcohol or gambling   Written evidence from support organisations, a GP, social services, a hospital or similar
You are fleeing domestic violence, leaving care or leaving prison   Written evidence from support organisations, a probationary officer or social services
You have severe debt problems or a county court judgement against you   A court order or evidence from help groups, solicitors, people you owe money to or similar
Your bank account is overdrawn
If you are overdrawn at the bank, any payments we make to you may be used to pay off your overdraft first.  So it is important to tell us about any overdraft and also to give us the last two months’ bank statements showing the amount you are overdrawn.
You are bankrupt   A copy of the court order
You cannot open a bank account
Most customers can open at least a basic bank account.  If you are having difficulties, you should contact us as soon as possible.
You are receiving help from a homeless charity or our homeless section
Evidence from the charity or a referral from our homeless section, with an explanation and supporting evidence, such as a section 21 eviction notice (which is a notice that has been issued by the courts allowing the landlord to take back the property).
  • If your Landlord has made it a condition of your Tenancy, and
  • Where your rent is set at, or reduced to, the Local Housing Allowance rate for your household, or you can afford the rent (if it is higher than the Local Housing Allowance rate),

then we may be able to make payments direct to your landlord.

Contact us on or call 0300 3030164 for more information and advice about this.

Monday to Friday: 9am to 4.30pm


Tel: 0300 3030164 

Or write to:

Hewson House
Station Road
DN20 8XB