What to do if someone dies abroad

You must first decide where the funeral is going to take place.

Then take the death certificate issued by the foreign registration authority to the registrar of the district in which the burial or cremation is taking place, along with a translation. You will need to make an appointment to do this. Your funeral director will be able to advise you.

The registrar will issue a document called a ‘Certificate of no liability to register’. This is the document that will be given to the funeral director in order to allow the funeral to proceed.

The registrar may have to report the death to the coroner in order to properly establish the cause of death.

Further information regarding arranging a funeral in North Lincolnshire or repatriation of a deceased person from abroad can be found here

The Register Office is open

Monday to Friday 9am-4pm

Saturday 10am to 4pm

You can contact us

In person – Scunthorpe Central, Carlton Street, Scunthorpe North Lincolnshire DN15 6TX

By email – registrars@northlincs.gov.uk

By telephone – 01724 298555

If you need to contact a registrar in an emergency outside office hours, please call the CCTV Centre on 01724 276444

They will contact us on your behalf and arrange for you to be called back.