Coronavirus – National restrictions questions and answers

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

What has changed?

The government has implemented the roadmap out of lockdown. 

You should follow this guidance immediately.

From 17 May; this is what it means for you:

These laws apply to homes and businesses in North Lincolnshire.


You should continue to work from home if you can do.


You can also leave home to provide voluntary or charitable services.


You can leave home to go shopping or obtain services from a businesses.

Fulfilling legal obligations

You may also leave home to fulfil legal obligations, or to carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property, or where it is reasonably necessary for voting in an election or referendum.

Education and childcare

All schools and colleges are open.  You can leave home for education, registered childcare, and supervised activities for children are open. See further information on education and childcare. People can continue existing arrangements for contact between parents and children where they live apart. This includes childcare bubbles.

Meeting others and care

You can socialise indoors in a group of up to 6 people or 2 households, including for overnight stays. You can meet up to 30 people outdoors.

Medical reasons, harm and compassionate visits

You can leave home for a medical reason, including to get a COVID-19 test, for medical appointments and emergencies, to be with someone who is giving birth, to avoid injury or illness or to escape risk of harm (such as domestic abuse), or for animal welfare reasons – such as to attend veterinary services for advice or treatment.

You can also leave home to visit someone who is dying or someone in a care home (if permitted under care home guidance), hospice, or hospital, or to accompany them to a medical appointment.

Communal worship and life events

Funeral attendance will no longer be limited to 30 people, but will be determined by how many people the COVID-secure venue can safely accommodate with social distancing.

The number of guests at a wedding will no longer be limited to 30, although venues and hosts will have to do a risk assessment to ensure social distancing can take place (similar rules apply to other significant life events, such as bar/bat mitzvahs and christenings).

You should follow the national guidance on the safe use of places of worship.

  • indoor entertainment and attractions such as cinemas, theatres, concert halls, bowling alleys, casinos, amusement arcades, museums and children’s indoor play areas will be permitted to open with COVID-secure measures in place
  • people will be able to attend indoor and outdoor events, including live performances, sporting events and business events. Attendance at these events will be capped according to venue type, and attendees should follow the COVID-secure measures set out by those venues.
  • indoor hospitality venues such as restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes can reopen.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household (on an exclusive basis). Households within a bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit public places together.

Once you make a support bubble, you should not change who is in your bubble. You should not have multiple bubbles.

Find out more about support bubbles on GOV.UK

A childcare bubble is where someone in one household can provide informal (i.e. unpaid and unregistered) childcare to a child aged 14 or under in another household. This applies to extended family members and friends but must be on an exclusive basis – always the same two households.

Find out more about childcare bubbles on GOV.UK

People can visit another household:

  • to attend a birth at the mother’s request
  • to visit a person who is dying
  • to fulfil a legal obligation
  • for work purposes, or for the provision of voluntary or charitable services
  • for the purposes of education or training
  • for the purposes of childcare provided by a registered provider and informal childcare as part of a childcare bubble
  • to provide emergency assistance
  • to enable one or more persons in the gathering to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm
  • to help with a house move
  • to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
  • to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children where the children do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents.

You can continue to use early years and childcare settings, including childminders and providers offering before or after school clubs or other out-of-school settings for children.

Children of parents who are separated can continue to move between households, providing the two separate households are in the same support bubble together.

North Lincolnshire’s schools and colleges are open. Education settings are following Public Health England and Department for Education guidance on keeping students and staff safe.

Face coverings are now a legal requirement in many public places, including shops and public transport. When you’re wearing a face covering, it must cover both your nose and your mouth.

By law you must wear a face covering in these places (unless you’re exempt):

  • public transport (aeroplanes, trains, and buses)
  • taxis and private hire vehicles
  • transport hubs (airports, rail stations and terminals, maritime ports and terminals, bus and coach stations and terminals)
  • essential shops and supermarkets (places which offer goods or services for retail sale or hire)
  • premises providing veterinary services
  • places of worship
  • funeral service providers (funeral homes, crematoria and burial ground chapels).

Yes. You can leave home for work purposes, where your place of work remains open and where you cannot work from home. Workplaces should have Covid-19 secure arrangements in place.

Journeys should be minimised, but you can still travel to go to the shops and work that are open. You should still wear a face covering.

You can meet up to six people or two households (including a support bubble if eligible). You can meet up to 30 people outdoors.

Yes, you can meet up with other people indoors. Maximum groups of six people inside and following Covid-19 guidelines.

You can exercise or meet up outdoors in a group of up to 30 or a group of any size from up to two households (including their support bubbles, if eligible).

Residents are advised to walk or cycle when possible and when travelling by car to only travel with those in your household and/or support bubble.

It is advised to only use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work. Face coverings must be worn unless exempt.

At this time please avoid car sharing, but if you have to, please follow these simple steps:

  • wash your hands or use sanitiser before and after your journey
  • wear face coverings
  • share with the same small group only
  • clean your car surfaces after every journey (including seat belts and internal/external handles)
  • sit as far away as possible
  • keep the windows open.

There is no longer a legal restriction or permitted reason required to travel internationally. There will be a traffic light system for international travel, and you must follow the rules when returning to England depending on whether you return from a red, amber or green list country.

Official/registered tradespeople can go to other people’s homes for work purposes as long as they follow national guidance on how to work safely there.

In North Lincolnshire:

  • the number of guests at a wedding will no longer be limited to 30, although venues and hosts will have to do a risk assessment to ensure social distancing can take place (similar rules apply to wakes).

If you would like to discuss your booking, or make a new ceremony enquiry, please email us at registrars@northlincs.gov.uk and a member of the team will contact you.

  • Funerals – in line with latest government guidance and due to the size of Woodlands chapel, the limit on the numbers attending funerals in the crematorium chapel is 20 seated and 12 standing. A total of 32 mourners.
  • Burials which take place outside are limited to 50 mourners.

Anyone working at these ceremonies or events are not included as part of the person limit.

The additional restriction on mixing with other households within indoor settings does not change the attendance limits.

Further information:

NL Active leisure centres:

  • Swimming pool (lane swimming, family swim sessions, school swimming and Return to Swimming courses)
  • Gym
  • Indoor courts (mixed households adhering to the rule of six)
  • Outdoor courts
  • Outdoor group fitness
  • Virtual studio at Ancholme Leisure Centre and The Pods
  • Outdoor football facilities
  • Our livestreamed group fitness timetable will continue
  • Class sizes have been reduced to allow for social distancing and no equipment is shared in the classes. All equipment is sanitised before and after classes
  • Classes must be booked in advance using our online booking system
  • Social distancing guidelines must be followed throughout the class

For more information visit our Leisure centres – Coronavirus related FAQs page.

You can still move home. People outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless absolutely necessary.

Estate and letting agents and removals firms can continue to work. If you are looking to move, you can go to property viewings.

Follow the national guidance on moving home safely, which includes advice on social distancing and wearing a face covering.

Take away services can fully re-open to include walk-ins

Hospitality settings, such as bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants are open. Rule of six still applies indoors.

The symptoms of coronavirus are:

  • a new continuous cough
  • a high temperature
  • a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell.

Visit the NHS website for further information.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable, you are no longer advised to shield. However, you should continue to follow the guidance for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable and are advised to take additional precautions to protect yourself. It is important that you continue to keep the number of social interactions that you have low and try to limit the amount of time you spend in settings where you are unable to maintain social distancing.

If you’re affected by coronavirus and need help, let us know and we’ll match you with a volunteer in your area.

Here are some of the things we can help you with:

  • food
  • medicine
  • someone to listen and support you
  • health advice and taking care of yourself.

We can help with other concerns you have too, please do get in touch, call us on 01724 297000, we’re all here to help. Further information is available on the main coronavirus page.

We’ve also launched a payment to support people who may struggle with money if they need to self-isolate and cannot work.

We’ve brought together advice, guidance and support both from the council and external agencies and organisations. This guidance offers help including; grants and benefits available and helping with training and employment opportunities. Go to the financial advice, support and guidance page for further information.

If you are struggling financially, it is sometimes hard to know where to turn. We are here to help.