Complaints, appeals and objections

For general guidance visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) information, advice and guidance.

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Alternatively you can email customerservice@northlincs.gov.uk, call us on 01724 297000, or write to us at Customer Service, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN15 6NL.

Our service standards

Thousands of people contact us every year in many different ways. Regardless of how you contact us you are entitled to a high standard of response.
Here we set out our service standards when you first contact us and tell you what you can expect from us.

We will:

  • Aim to provide high quality customer focused services
  • Respond in a timely manner
  • Listen to you


Please note that the investigation into your complaint may be delayed due to resources being diverted to deal with Public Health priorities.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we do remain committed to responding to your complaint, and will respond as soon as we are able.  Should our response breach statutory or organisational timeframes and you are unhappy with this you have the right to complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO).  Details on how to do this can be found on their website https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint. Please be aware that the LGSCO are not currently taking new complaints and have temporarily suspended their helpline and online complaint form, as part of steps to follow the Government’s advice to combat the spread of Coronavirus.


Customer care

We welcome your comments and we use them to improve our services. We will be courteous and helpful and will listen carefully to what you have to say. We will treat you fairly and with respect.

When you contact us we will respond promptly, telling you what we will do and when you can expect a result. If we can’t meet your needs we will tell you why not and if possible will refer you to an organisation that can help you. If we have got something wrong, we will apologise and put it right.

If you need information in a special format such as Braille or in a different language we can arrange it on request.

North Lincolnshire Council is committed to delivering excellent customer service. We welcome feedback from our customers, as this will help us to improve our services and meet your needs more effectively.

Read our Customer Complaints Comments Policy[PDF, 154Kb] to see how we deal with complaints.

If you feel that we have fallen short of the service you expect, we encourage you to contact the service directly in the first instance. Staff there will do all they can to put things right and resolve the issue for you. You can use our online form to contact us.

If you feel that the matter is still unresolved or you wish to complain formally, please read the information below.

If you wish to make a general complaint about the council, you can submit your complaint online:

If we have investigated your formal complaint at all stages of the council’s complaints process and you remain dissatisfied, you may appeal to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LG&SCO).

The Ombudsman may investigate your complaint and carry out a review to make sure that we dealt with your complaint correctly and fairly.

The Ombudsman is a free, independent and impartial service which does not take sides. Contact the Ombudsman at www.lgo.org.uk or phone 0300 061 0614.

If you are unhappy with any aspect of how we are looking after your personal information or about the response you have received to a request for information, you can ask for an Internal Review (complaint investigation). See our information complaints page for more information.

If you wish to complain about a school, please contact the Head Teacher.

If your complaint is about the Head Teacher, please contact the Chair of the Governing Bodies.

Councillors work to a code of conduct. If you feel that a councillor may be in breach of the code and you want to find out more about making a complaint, please visit our complaints about councillors page, email democratic@northlincs.gov.uk, or call 01724 296230.

If you are unhappy with a decision or an outcome of a process, there may be a separate appeals procedure:

If you would like to make an insurance claim against the council, please visit our insurance page.