The council is holding the Introduction to Home-Based Childcare (IHBC) course for new childminders starting on Wednesday 30 January 2019, 6.30pm to 9pm at the Learning Development Centre, Scunthorpe.
People who wish to register as a childminder working with children in the Early Years age range are required by Ofsted to carry out training before they can register as a childminder. This course will enable people to get the training and support required.
The course is also suitable for people who work at nurseries, pre-schools and schools to support staff development, particularly for new members of their team.
The 12 week course is made up of the following sessions:
- Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- Safeguarding and promoting children’s welfare
- Supporting the childminding business
- Managing children’s behaviour
- SEND, equality and inclusion
- Learning and development
- Observation, assessment and planning
- HMRC requirements for running your own business
Support from the council’s Early Years Team and experienced childminders will be provided throughout the course. There are no written tasks or exams in the course. Learners will receive a certificate at the end.
Benefits of taking part in the course includes:
- A copy of recommended product templates that they can use within their childminding business
- Membership of an online IHBC group forum for the duration of the course
- Subject specialist tutors at each workshop session
- Email and telephone support to answer individual queries
- Home visits from a North Lincolnshire Council Early Years team member to support them through their Ofsted registration and later through the Ofsted inspection process
- Day to day support from experienced childminders in the local area
A learner who completed the course previously, said:
“It’s taught me that there is so much more involved in childminding than ‘just looking after children’.”
The course costs £185 (or £165 for those who have already attended a Childminder Briefing session with the council). Funding for the course is available (terms and conditions apply).
For more information about the IHBC course or to book your place on the course call 01724 296650.
The next Childminder Briefing session is taking place on Wednesday 9 January 2019 from 6pm to 8pm at the Learning Development Centre, Enderby Road, Scunthorpe to provide information on becoming a childminder.
To book your place at the Childminder Briefing session or for further information, call 01724 296650. The Briefing cost is £20 however funding for this is available (terms and conditions apply).
Cllr David Rose, cabinet member for Children, Families, Learning and Leisure, said:
“For anyone who is looking to register as a childminder, this Introduction to Home-Based Childcare course will provide the relevant support and information needed to do this.
“The course focuses on everything you need to know about being a childminder including learning and development to understanding how to run your own business.
“To make sure you are prepared to register as a childminder and are meeting Ofsted’s requirements, book your place on this course. Funding is available for the course subject to eligibility.”