What you can take
Find out what can be taken to our Household Recycling Centres. Please be aware that charges apply for some materials.
We can’t accept the following waste [PDF, 119Kb] at any of the Household Recycling Centres.
We no longer recycle hard plastics at the Household Recycling Centres. This was for a trial period which has ended and we have been unable to secure a long term contractor for this waste, as the price is very volatile (materials need to be separated such as metals which is done manually and is very costly).
Asbestos can only be taken to the Household Recycling Centre at certain times of the day. There are strict rules on how to dispose of this waste. See below for further details.
Asbestos is potentially dangerous and needs to be handled with care. Please read the guidance on how to handle and bag up your asbestos [PDF, 15Kb] before you handle asbestos.
We only accept asbestos at the Household Recycling Centre, Cottage Beck Road, Scunthorpe and you will need to request a bag to dispose of your asbestos.
Alternatively, you can call the Customer Contact Centre to order a bag.
Residents will be sent two bags (one red and one clear) to double bag their asbestos, a letter authorising them to dispose of the asbestos and a handling asbestos guidance sheet. These will be sent within two to five working days.
The following criteria must apply:
- asbestos must have originated from your own property
- it is bonded white asbestos (chrysotile). No blue (crocidolite), brown (amosite) or fibrous asbestos will be accepted under any circumstances
- the maximum weight accepted per request is 20 kilograms
- the total amount of asbestos to be disposed of must fit into the red bag and sealed, then the red bag placed into the clear bag and sealed, resulting in double bagged waste
- asbestos will only be accepted at the Household Recycling Centre, Cottage Beck Road, Scunthorpe during the following times:
- from 1 March to 31 October: 10am to 4pm
- from 1 November to 28 or 29 February: 10am to 2pm
- you must report to a site attendant on arrival at the Household Recycling Centre during the asbestos disposal times. Any asbestos taken to the site outside of the disposal times will be refused
- you must hand the letter of authorisation to the site attendant on arrival at the Household Recycling Centre, asbestos can only be deposited with this original letter
- you must be able to handle the asbestos waste from your own vehicle into the designated skip as site attendants are not permitted to assist in moving asbestos waste
- any split, torn, damaged or unsealed bags of asbestos will be refused and you will need to reapply
- only correctly double bagged material in the bags provided by the council will be accepted
- you are only permitted to make two deposits per year (1 April to 31 March), per household free of charge. There is a charge of £20 per extra set of bags for further deposits
Please note: permits are required for vans and commercial type vehicles and large trailers to access the site. This will need to be applied for in advance. No signwritten vehicles are allowed on site.
See fees and charges or call the Customer Contact Centre.
Ceramics, soil, hardcore and rubble can be taken to Barton, Belton, Goxhill, Kirton, Scunthorpe and Winterton Household Recycling Centres only.
Plasterboard can only be taken to Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centre.
Tyres can only be taken to Belton, Barton and Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centres.
Plasterboard can only be recycled at Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centre.
By law it cannot be disposed of in landfill, and its not recognised as household waste. Therefore, there is a charge to dispose of this. Please see our fees and charges. Please bring the correct amount of money for disposal of these items.
Ceramics, soil and rubble can be recycled at Barton, Belton, Goxhill, Kirton, Scunthorpe and Winterton Household Recycling Centres only. By law it cannot be disposed of in landfill, and it is not recognised as household waste. Therefore, there is a charge to dispose of this. Please see our fees and charges. Please bring the correct amount of money for disposal of these items.
You can dispose of car and motorbike tyres at Belton, Barton, and Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centres.
As car and motorbike tyres are not recognised by law as household waste there is a charge to dispose of these. Please see our fees and charges. Please bring the correct amount of money for disposal of these items.
Bicycle tyres and inner tubes can also be recycled along with car tyres. There is no charge to dispose of these.
We do not accept tractor or lorry tyres.