13 June 2018
Cllr Rob Waltham MBE, leader of North Lincolnshire Council, will officially open Scunthorpe Central on Tuesday 19 June 2018 – following a £1m investment to transform the former library into a multi-use community venue. The public are invited.
The outer shell of the building remains the same but the inside has undergone a complete make-over. It now brings together a range of public and voluntary sector services under one roof – making it much easier and accessible.
At the opening, the leader will welcome guests before unveiling the plaque to mark the occasion. He will also present the awards to the winners who took part in the recent Sense of Place poem competition.
There will also be displays and stands including Healthy Lifestyles, Employment Group and Citizens Advice.
The council contracted local company Houlton’s to do the refurbishment work and representatives have been invited.
For more details visit
Cllr Rob Waltham MBE leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said:
“This investment is part of our plans to regenerate the town centre in a £60m project to attract more people and improve the local economy.
“The idea was to bring lots of key services together under one roof, making it much more accessible and the results are amazing.
“Residents no longer have to make several trips. Instead they come to Scunthorpe Central and the friendly staff will help with any query they may have. From helping to find a job to help losing weight or stopping smoking.
“Scunthorpe Central is the first of many regeneration projects to be completed. Soon to follow will be new Ongo headquarters which is almost finished, and works to save £375,000 of tax payers money by relocating council staff into the town centre has already started.
“We are creating the new shopping experience and indoor market in the former BHS store. Together, all this will bring even more people into the town centre, which can only to be a good thing and remember you can park for free too.”
Here’s a flavour of what you can do at Scunthorpe Central:
• Access job, training and careers advice and find out how to start your own business
• Apply for a blue badge parking permit, travel pass, replacement or renewal
• Get confidential and impartial advice from Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire
• Discover what adult education courses are on offer and find out how to enrol
• Find out if you are entitled to council tax reductions
• Get support if you are suffering from domestic violence or are homeless
• Find out how to get on the housing register, how to access housing support
• Access social services support – children and adults
• Get rid of your bulky items or apply for a new bin
• Find places to visit in and around North Lincolnshire
• Find your nearest leisure centre and how to become a member
• Find details of your nearest nursery or school and apply for a place
• See whether your child is eligible for free school meals or travel assistance
• Lose weight, stop smoking and cut down alcohol through free structured support sessions
• Study in the new dedicated quiet room
• Take part in a range of events in the activity room or book one of our rooms for your use