Scawby, Sturton, Ermine Street walking route
|Distance || |
|Start || |
From M180 Junction 4, Take the road to the A18 roundabout and turn right towards Brigg. Take the first right, signposted Scawby.
When you enter the village park in the lay-by opposite the Sutton Arms or use the Village Hall car park about 50 yards further on the left.
|Route || |
1. Facing the Sutton Arms, take a left heading south along the B1207 towards Sturton passing the school on your right. At a crossroads ignore the right hand road, marked no through road and walk straight on into Sturton.
2. Take the next right hand turn into Main Street – a lovely old-fashioned village street. Pass Manor Farm on your left to a road junction and go straight on. This is a gated road although the first gate is broken at the time of writing. Continue along this straight road with enormous verges.
3. Just before the modern A15 is reached, turn right into Ermine Street, now a lane, entering it by another gate. Continue northwards with the A15 on your left.
4. Go through the last gate, passing a bus shelter and turning right into Messingham Lane walking gently downhill into Scawby.
5. At the road junction turn right into the main B1207 again passing Scawby Hall and the church on your left back to your starting point.
|Terrain || |
The area is basically flat although the journey from Ermine Street to Scawby is slightly downhill. From Scawby to Sturton and from point four to the end is on roadside pavements. Sturton Lane is a tarmac gated road and Ermine is a gated lane.
|Time || |
Allow between an hour and a an hour and a half to complete the walk at a leisurely pace.
|Refreshments || |
The Sutton Arms, Scawby 01652 652430.
Arties Mill, Castlethorpe 01652 652094.
|Toilets || |
|Maps || |
OS Explorer 281 Ancholme Valley.