1. From the car park, walk northward along the roadside, (away from the railway) and look for a finger signpost on the right hand side.
2. Take this path which crosses a small field and over a footbridge. The line of the path (following the field boundary ) is obvious from the waymark signs crossing more footbridges and hand gates until an open field is reached.
3. Bear slightly left after crossing a good wooden bridge over East Halton Beck, crossing a pasture with a small lake on the right.
4. Go through the gap in the hedge and turn right along the road (College Road). There is no pavement so take care.
5. Turn right at a metal gate onto a grassy wide track with a hedge on your left.
The path bends sharply to the right and go through a gate on the left following the same direction as before.
6. At a gate go through onto a quiet country lane, turning right. Soon a chicken farm is seen on the left and a pumping station on the right. In a while you cross the clear, fast flowing East Halton Beck again.
7. At a road junction turn right onto another quiet lane. (By going straight on and crossing a level crossing over the railway and taking a short lane to the right a field headland can be followed to Thornton Abbey Station adding 6 mile to the walk.)
8. At a junction, a wide green track leads left up to the railway station, we turn right, facing the Gatehouse and back to the car park