1. From the municipal car park, carefully cross A1077 main road and turn right over the footbridge alongside the main road. Go through a Kissing gate on the left towards the river bank.
2. The path turns inland at a bird hide and bends again going parallel with the shoreline still on the embankment passing small lakes on the right and the river on the left.
3. A waymarked path drops down to the right, this is where the return journey rejoins our outward route.
4. The path descends to the shoreline just after passing the imposing South Ferriby Hall on the right.
5. After a short distance (about 50 yards) steps lead up to a gate and a path leads uphill alongside a field. Follow this path uphill with a hedge on your right.
6. The path meets a wide track at a very long seat. This wide track is the Viking Way (To extend the walk turn left for about a third or a mile to a good viewpoint opposite a police firing range). Turn right and return to the village.
7. Pass north End Road to your right and watch out for a delightful little pond on the left hand side of the road. Turn right down The Rise. This road swings left at the bottom past a lovely chapel into Farrishes Lane.
8. Turn right onto Sluice Road heading back towards the Sluice.
9. Just after you pass the Rugby Conference Centre on the other side of the road a partly concealed, but signposted path leads you back onto the embankment through a kissing gate at point three from where you return to the start.