As part of a wider transformation project in the Church Square area of Scunthorpe town centre, the Central Library will undergo a £1m refurbishment to make it into a fantastic new community hub.
In order to make these improvements, the Central Library will be closed until the work is completed in Spring 2018.
During this period, the Central Library will operate temporarily from The Base (previously the Scunthorpe Screen film theatre, adjacent to the Central Library).
You will still be able to borrow and request books, use computers, and find information in The Base, and our opening hours will remain the same. Our regular groups will also be able to meet in a designated area of The Base.
The Central Library is the largest library in North Lincolnshire. There are two public floors in the building.
The library is also the administrative headquarters for North Lincolnshire Libraries and Information Services. Scunthorpe and district Local Link is situated in nearby Church Square House.
Services available in the Central Library
- Books in other languages available for loan
- Children's library with a variety of stock and family-friendly seating areas
- Colour printing and photocopying services
- Family history resources including local parish registers and census returns
- Fax and scan to email service (no incoming fax service)
- Group activity area on the ground floor hosting a variety of regular activities
- Lending library including a back stack of out-of-print or hard to obtain titles
- Local and national newspapers and periodicals including the Yorkshire Post, The Times and The Guardian
- Local history resources including books, maps and trade directories
- Local information
- Public internet access (free for 30 minutes per day) via 34 computers, including four dedicated to under-16s, four to assisting with online forms and four to local and family history
- Quieter study area on the first floor
- Range of large print and audiobooks in different formats
- Reference library
- Self-service option
- Wi-fi and dedicated laptop area
You can access the following online facilities from home, even when the library is closed:
Access our online catalogue or renew a book
Access our ebooks
Access our digital magazines
Complete an online research application
or access our other online resources.