North Lincolnshire Council

Stay on in Learning or Training Post 16

The government recognises that school isn’t for everyone so continuing in education or training can mean:

  • Full time education (school, college or independent provider for at least 540 hours)
  • An apprenticeship
  • Full-time work, including at least 280 hours of accredited education over the year
  • Part-time education or training if they are employed, self-employed or volunteering full-time (which is defined as 20 hours or more a week).

Advice and guidance on the full range of options open to you will be available through your school, young people’s careers helpline or online resources. Talk to your teachers about accessing face-to-face advice if you need help thinking through the pros and cons of different options.

Where can I find out more?

You can find out more information about raising the participation age on The Department for Education pages on GOV.UK.