Registering a food business
Food businesses must register with their local council under Article 6 of EC Regulation 852/2004. You must tell us about the premises you will run your business from and any vehicles you will use to support this business. This information must reach us 28 days before your business starts operating. Food businesses that must register include:
- market stalls
- catering businesses run from home
- delivery vehicles and mobile premises such as burger vans
- food warehouses
There are no specific exemptions from this requirement. If you are unsure if you need to register, we advise that you do so. You need to register if:
- your business takes place on a regular or frequent basis
- you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises, such as a shop or warehouse (you do not need to register each vehicle separately)
- you are starting a new food business. You must register with the council at least 28 days before opening the business.
- there is a change of ownership or address. You must register within 28 days of the change.
There is no charge to register a food business but failure to do so is an offence.
You must also inform us if:
- there has been any significant change in your activities
- the business closes/stops trading
The name and address of the business and the type of business will be put onto a register that is open to inspection by the public. All other information is confidential and will not be publicly available.
If you require further information please contact the Food and Safety Team.
Alternatively, you can download the Food Business Registration form [PDF, 32Kb].
Advice and information on starting a food business can found at the Food Standards Agency website.
If you are starting up a new food business or taking on an existing food business why not get yourself off to the best possible start by registering for the Food Safety Business Advice Service.
What happens next?
Once your application is received, we will visit your business to conduct an inspection to ensure the premises meet the standards required by the Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs. During this visit a risk assessment will be made and a risk rating under the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme will be allocated to you, which will determine the frequency of subsequent food safety inspections. For more information about the Scheme use the link below.
Please note that we do not arrange inspection visits in advance and will turn up unannounced. We will however, do our best to visit your premises as soon as we can after receiving your registration. If you do not go ahead with your food business proposal your registration will be removed from the register after 6 months from its receipt.
Tel: 01724 297000
Food & Safety Team
Church Square House
PO Box 42
North Lincolnshire DN15 6XQ