Known as Westude at the time of the Doomsday Book, Westwoodside
simply refers to the wooded area of land to the west of Haxey.
More information can be found in:
- Cameron, Keith The Place-Names of Lincolnshire.
- Eminson T.B.F. Place and River Names of the West Riding of
The village of Westwoodside is located as the name suggests to
the west of Haxey and joins with the people of that village every
January for the ancient game known as the Haxey Hood.
Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
Westwoodside is a considerable village houses, three-quarters of
a mile west, and includes Upperthorpe, Nethergate, Newbigg and
Park. Here is a reading room. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in
1864; a Methodist New Connexion chapel, built in 1845, and a
Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1861.
Holdings in North Lincolnshire Local Studies
- Grosvenor, Olive L. Shops and Services in Haxey Parish, 1889 -
1999, No. 2 Westwoodside, Eastlound and Low Burnham. 1990.
- Stonehouse, W.B. The history and topography of the Isle of
Axholme. Westwoodside-Torre Family. 1839.
References in the Star Newspaper Index
- New school opened LLS 11.01. 1896 5a.