Although not mandatory, it is good practice for local councils to have an audit committee. An effective audit committee should be independent from the council's cabinet and scrutiny functions.
North Lincolnshire's Audit Committee was establised in May 2006 and meets approximately four times a year to address council business relating to:
- internal audit, risk management, counter fraud work;
- external audit and inspection reports;
- value for money arrangements;
- enhancing good governance;
- reviewing and approving the council's Annual Governance Statement;
- reviewing and approving the council's final audited accounts; and
- providing members with appropriate training to specialise in these areas.
Our Audit Committee has seven members (four conservative and three labour). The chairman is not a member of the council's cabinet.
If you require more information please contact Richard Mell, Principal Democratic Services Officer on 01724 296231 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.