North Lincolnshire Council

Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to England or Wales

If a death occurs abroad, the death will need registering according to the local regulations of that country. A death certificate will need collecting. You will need either the death certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death by someone authorised to do so. This is to bring a body back to England or Wales.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

  • an authenticated translation of a death certificate showing the cause of death and
  • a certificate of No Liability to Register from a Registrar of Births and Deaths in England and Wales. This certificate must be obtained from the Registrar of Births and Deaths in the area where the deceased is to be buried or cremated.

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or form ‘E’ from the coroner is needed. If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will require the following documentation:

  • application for cremation (Form ‘A’)
  • all original documentation from the country where death occurred
  • translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural, it will be referred to the coroner. They will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of the death. In this case the coroner will issue form ‘E’ for cremation.

Require more information?

For more information on all of our bereavement services please use our online form:

Alternatively, you can make an appointment or ask a question by email, phone or in writing.