Council tax reduction is a rebate scheme. It can provide help with up to the maximum of 100 per cent of the council tax. It can be paid in addition to any council tax discounts that you may also be eligible to claim.
You may be entitled to claim council tax reduction if you meet the following three conditions:
- You are liable to pay council tax on the property where you live
- Your permanent home is in the North Lincolnshire Council area
- You have a low income
Even if you are not receiving any other benefits you may still be able to claim council tax reduction.
People who have more than £16,000 in savings are not entitled to get main council tax reduction. This is unless you are aged over 60 years and are getting pension credit - guarantee.
If you are entitled to receive council tax reduction, the amount you receive depends on four things:
- The amount of money you have coming in
- The amount of any savings you may have
- Your personal circumstances (such as if you have any children, if you are disabled, who else lives in your home)
- The amount of council tax you have to pay
The money taken into account to work out your council tax reduction is usually net of tax.
If you are not self-employed but still have to complete Tax Self Assessment form, please let us know when you fill in your Council Tax Reduction claim form.
There is another type of Council Tax Reduction called Second Adult Rebate. You may be entitled to this if you pay council tax and have a ‘second adult’, other than a partner, in your home who is on a low income. It does not take into account your income or capital.